Saturday, October 6, 2018

Jellybeans and squirt by Jessica Singleton

"And I saw it was filled with graves and tombstones were flowers should." - William Blake

 "And pace the hollow rooms, 
And feel (companion of the dead) 
    I'm living in the tombs."

-Abraham Lincoln 
( My childhood home I see again)

Jellybean and squirt 
By
Jessica Singleton 

Once upon a time in a faraway city there lived a little boy named Tom Bitty.
Tom wasn't like other boys. Tom had a gift to see the dead. Tom's great grandmother was psychic. Somehow the gift had skipped his parents and bestowed itself upon him.
Tom spent most of his time on his cell phone. He liked to listen to music and he like to play video games. Tom's favorite thing to do was to read books. His favorite author was Stephen King.
Tom's father Sam was always away on business. Tom's mother was a very tall , thin and quiet woman. Tom's mother suffered from depression. She worked from home. His mother was a graphic artist. She made business cards. 
Most of the time Tom's mother sally was in bed asleep from the medication or she was laying in bed because she was depressed.
Tom's mother liked flowers. Her favorite flowers were wild flowers. 
Once Tom asked his mother why she liked wild flowers? They were not roses and when do you see them enough to even want them?
Tom's mother said,
" They are rare. They don't bloom the same in that aspect. It's freedom in nature. They are not confined to live in solitude until they go mad. They might as well fly like beautiful birds. They have that moment of recognition and redemption. Then they are free again. "

Tom felt like half The time his mother was speaking that she wasn't even talking about whatever was in the here and now. Tom loved his mother and he respected her.
Tom knew that his mother had mental problems and he didn't wanna make it worse. Tom didn't understand half the kids at school.
Their lives were different from his. So it was difficult to relate to them. Tom had a pet bird. The bird's name was Penny. Penny was a white parrot . Penny had black and yellowish tips on her wings. 
On Friday nights his mother would take him out to eat and they would go watch a movie at the theater. On Saturdays after his mother was done cleaning the house his mother would take him to the library. His mother would look at art books. Tom would find history and science fiction books to read. 
Tom never told his mother that he liked poetry but he did. Tom checked out anything Billy Collins, that he could find. Billy Collins made life seem hopeful and possible.
Tom did not suffer from depression like his mother but living in a house with a manic made life seem worthless. Her pain was everywhere and couldn't be denied. 
After they left the library on Saturdays they would go grocery shopping. Tom would get an energy drink and follow his mother around the store.
His mother would stare at things to long before putting them in the cart. Or she would get agitated and place the items back where they came from. 
When they drove home, his mother would ask Tom questions about his day or school. 

That Sunday Tom's mother was watching tv like she was in a trance. She was catatonic with her eyes open. Not exactly catatonic but she was depressed again. The good news was that she was out of bed. 
Tom told his mother that he was going to go ride his bike. She did not respond to that. She started to talk about the home shop till you drop network. 
" if they sold towels for cats , people would be happy. Because no one wants to share a towel with their cat.  Someone should have them put a suggestion box out. People could call in and help. " 

" Mom , we don't have a cat. "

" I am trying to inform you Tom that people should have separate towels for cats. Cats have feelings too. "

" okay so is it okay if I go outside? "

" yes but you will not have a separate towel. "

" that is fine. I love you. See you around dinner. "

Tom left as soon as he could. Tom went to the city graveyard. He played chess with his great grandfather and sometimes Tom read to him. 
Tom saw a lot of ghost on a regular basis in everyday life. 
On that day Tom's great grandfather gave him a unique looking pocket watch. 
Tom asked  his grandfather why he was giving him his favorite pocket watch?
Tom's grandfather told Tom It wasn't just a pocket watch. It was also magic.  The watch turned into a snail . The snail was a wizard that could grant wishes. 
Tom did not believe it. Until he was halfway home. He felt something moving in the front pocket of his shirt. 
He stopped petaling and he looked down. 
It was a cute little snail. 
The tiny snail yawned and blinked his eyes. 
" excuse me sir? Are you his grandson?"

"Yes..."

" I thought so. I'm hungry. Do you mind feeding me? "

" what would you like? "

" Jellybeans or chocolate. "

" you are an insect. Do insects eat candy?"

" well I don't know. I never asked any of the other bugs. But I really love jellybeans. So if I could have anything to eat, that is what I want. Thank you. And by the way I am not an insect. I'm a molluscan."

" Okay.. I'm sorry...yeah it's October, so candy is on sale. They have chocolate flavored jellybeans. "

" what an amazing invention. I will have as many chocolate jelly beans as possible sir. "

Tom stopped at the candy store and got chocolate covered jellybeans and chocolate flavored jellybeans. 
The tiny snail was so happy. 

That night at the dinner table Tom's mother put peas in his plate. Tom hated peas. 
So Tom looked down at his pocket. 
Tom was hoping his new friend liked peas too. 
The tiny snail puckered up his face and shook his head.
" don't even think about it. I didn't want to eat those when I was a child and I am not eating them now. Eat your own vegetables. "

Tom whispered 
" you grant wishes- so can you make them disappear? Please. "

The snail turned over and he whispered something. 

The peas turned into candy sprinkles. Tom ate them in two spoonfuls. 

His dry meatloaf turned into a yummy vendor hotdog. Tom ate that with no problem. Then his mashed potatoes turned into potato chips. Tom had the best dinner. 

That night when Tom was about to go to bed , he talked to the snail.

" why did my grandfather give you to me? "

The tiny snail said-
" It's simple really. He thought you were alone and he loves his daughter. He does not want you to be alone. You both need help to get through this. It will not take long. I think he was protecting you. "

"What happens now? I mean do you just make the food edible or is there something else. "

"Wait for Halloween."

" I don't understand. "

" When is halloween? "
Tomorrow night.

"Great we should get started. That bird can be our pumpkin. "

" How is a bird a pumpkin?"

The snail said a few words. Then the golden yellow tips turned into the light inside of a white pumpkin.

" You just turned my bird into a jack-o'-lantern. Was that necessary. I mean they sell pumpkins at the store."

" I did not hurt the bird . I will turn it back.  Besides you need a guardian. Birds are brilliant for that. That bird is now disguised. And Halloween is the masquerade of all celebrations. That bird will protect you and your mother. No one will think anything of a jack 'o lantern on Halloween. Trust me. "

Tom got out of bed to put penny on the windowsill. He put bird seed in her so she would not get hungry. A neighbor lady was taking out her trash. She saw the boy in his window put bird seed into a pumpkin and she looked confused. 

" So what is your costume for Halloween? I'm curious. "

" I'm going as a pirate. Mom bought me a jack sparrow costume. "

" That's a fine costume. Do you have treasures or golden coins for this costume? "

" Nah.. you don't need money to trick' or treat. You have to have a bag to put candy in. "

" I knew the treating was free but if you're going to be a pirate, then you will need money. "

Before Tom could say anything back, his a stack of golden coins appeared on his night stand. Beside the coins was a tiny wooden box. The wooden box was in the shape of an old trunk. Tom opened the lid of the old trunk and it was filled with rubies and a treasure map. 
Tom assumed it was just props for his Halloween costume. 

" Your grandfather never told you where your gifts come from? Did he?"

" Nope. "

" Did he tell you anything about me at all? "

" Nope. "

" Your ancestors were famous when the world had kings and queens. Their throne fell but they hid their treasures. When the world was new , there were things that existed that do not exist now. Like me or monsters. Magic was common. Anyway you have a gift. And you have a mother. You need someone to help you. That  way - what is left of you will not fall like your monarchy. First things first...  Your mother is sad. So where is your father? " 

"He died years ago. She cannot accept that. So she says we have to say he is away on an extended business trip. "

" That has to change. She must accept the truth. No matter what it is. "

" I'm curious now. You said they hid their treasure. Was it more golden coins? "

" No it was rubies and cash. " 

" Oh so how do you plan on healing my mother of depression? Because in this world it's something you learn to live with. They have medication but it makes her sleepy. "

" In that volt . "

" You mean bank. "

" Whatever you call it is a book of magic and a potion. It's actually the purest water in the world. It can cure anything. We must find it. But you have to follow the map. There is only one hour on Halloween that you can do this in. Then it's another year before Halloween. "

" How do you expect me to do anything in one hour. I don't drive and I have to be home by 9:30. "

" Oh that is where I come in. I'm also a watch. I can rewind time and set you on your way. But you have to believe. "

The next day Tom dressed up in his costume. Molluscan twisted his gears and they stepped into the toy box. Where they followed the map to an old volt. 
"Now is where you need the rubies."

" Why? "

" Because you are about to meet your first creature. Don't sneeze. "

Inside the volt was a beautiful woman who looked like a mermaid. But she did not have Scales . 
The beautiful woman had the darkest red rose colored hair. It fell on her back into curls. 
Her dress look like crushed emerald silk. The skirt curled around her thin winter legs. 

" it's a child in my chamber. Not just any mortal. But a child. " 

"I'm Tom "

" And you are. Are you lost Tom? Because you are in a kingdom unlike your own. "

Tom looked at his feet and he said his grandfathers name. 

The maiden looked surprised. 

She walked over to Tom and she bent down to take a look into his eyes.

" You are his grandson. I see it in your eyes. It's the truth. Pardon me , your majesty Tomas. Please can I help you? I'm Cello. I'm the gate keeper. "

" Thank you but I have this map and I came for treasure.  I need all the contents of the volt that belong to my family. I need the pure vile of water too. "

She stood up and she towered over Tom. 

As beautiful as she was, she was different in some way he could not place. 
That is when she changed into her creature form. The smell of pepper and fire were everywhere. She was smoke and fire. Literally she could turn into a flame. 

" Are you mad. I'm sorry. The snail made me ask. "

She turned back into her female form and she was perfect. 

" No you don't bother me. I'm a Chamaeleon. And I am more fire like star then a dragon. I change on my own constantly. It pleases me to show off my beautiful abilities. "

And she was self aware and conceded. 

Tom held out his hands. He offered her the rubies. That did it. She was so intrigued with a red jewel that she was ready to do business. The beautiful woman unlocked the right volt and gave Tom all the treasures into his Halloween candy sack. Then they left. 

" So why did you tell me not to sneeze?"

" Because that woman is so conceded that if you sneezed she would take it as an insult. She is ridiculously insane with herself. I don't want to be in there all night explaining that we meant no harm. "

They stopped at a store that sold food and drinks. The drinks were made from plumes and grapes. The food was a sweet bread made from cinnamon and brown sugar. 

The snail took Tom to a harbor that over looked a ragging river. The snail wished for still water. The water obeyed and then the water stood up and turned into a titan of a man. 

" I don't take orders from snails and I don't take orders from clocks. What is this nonsense? Who treads my shore?"

" I'm sure you will pardon the prince sir. "

" prince? I see a child. He is short . "

"Give him your hand."

" my hand. You want me to shake hands with the water?"

" Do it now. "

" ok. "

Tom extended his right hand. The sea is as old as time. They shook hands and the sea was happy. While holding the boys hand, the sea like a compass could sense every truth. The sea knew who he was. And in return offered the boy and his snail a free boat ride to the gate they came from. When they came through the gate back into their own world, only 45 minutes had passed. 

Tom poured the vile of water into a cup and he gave it to his mother with her evening meditation. The water healed her completely and permanently. 

Then Tom went trick or treating with his snail. They split the candy. 
Tom could not figure out how he would explain the money to his mother. Now they were wealthy. 

Molluscan made a wish that the money would be wired into their checking account. It would be an inheritance from some news they just found out about. No one could steal it.  

" So why did you turn the bird into a pumpkin again? "

" You will see. "

That night another creature tried to steal the treasure back from Tom. The bird woke them up before the creature could steal. Molluscan turned the creature into a worm. Then he turned the pumpkin back into a bird. The bird ate the worm. No one ever tried to harass or attack Tom again. Because they knew that he was protected. 

They lived happily ever after. 

The End 







No comments:

Post a Comment