Sunday, June 25, 2017

Etch a Sketch My ideas for art

Art by; Jessica Singleton

I love art. I am a big geeky fan of art. But my art talent is limited to a 9th grade elective section. So I'm not Paul Booth. My talent is my writing. I am creative but not so much where it counts.
I taught myself to draw at an early age. I loved crayons and water colors. I used to sit at the kitchen table, and my mother would let me paint all over the newspapers.
I had some coloring books when I was a kid. My favorite were the coloring books that just needed water and then the page came to life.
I took an art class an elective in the 7th, 8th, and 9th grade.
Then my junior year, I took a graphic arts class. Graphic arts really is not the same as a coloring book.
Anyway... I like to doodle.  I am not that bad at it.
The big thing right now in the art section of life is the blotter come backs and the modern blotch of color on paper.
Pop culture never goes out but when I started to create art, I created things that I wanted for my own home.
So they were not really meant for everyone's taste.
I do love art. But I really am limited to what I can do.
They say that if you practice anything, you get better.
I have been at that art thing for years.
I'm way above the stick figure drawings but I do not see the improvements on my end.
I keep trying though.
So what I wanted was to work with glass in art.
Like trick mirrors that are placed just so inside of the painting.
That way, it looks like you're standing inside of the art. 
A child looking into a mirror. BUT she is looking off to her side in the reflection. In the doorway's reflection of the mirror, you see you looking. The way this works. You put the trick mirror in the tiny square of the doorway that is in the mirror. That way when you look at the painting of the room. The doorway is just a doorway in a painting. And you are only reflected inside of the mirror.
The other paintings were a stairwell that circled around an old tree. The tree was in a room that was filled with dark water.
Where is my inspiration for this;
 When I was a kid, my aunt lived out in the country. There was an old seller on her property.
That seller filled with dark black water. I was scared of it when I was a kid.
I kept seeing myself in it.
So it became the muse for a lot of inspiration.
The house was an old 1920's house. It had the best stairwell in it.
But I was pushed down the stairs and I had a fear of stairs too.
I always thought that stairwells were beautiful. Even in a nightmare , they were pretty to look at.
I took to off brand clay animation cartoons and vintage advertisements.
Oddities and ironically enough not so much colors but expressions behind people's eyes.
My own emotions were my biggest muse. 
Growing up in fear and regret does a lot.
One year when I was in the 4th grade, I went to a carnival. I got this glass picture with a unicorn on it. It was shades of blues in midnight. It was beautiful. I accidentally broke it. When I looked down at the pretty picture that was in a lot of pieces, it was even more beautiful to me. So I took to broken glass at that moment.
When I was about 4 years old , further back into my childhood, my parents took me to a circus. I loved it. I just instantly took to it.
So I do not know where that leaves me.
I bought a magazine that sells tiny ovens to heat glass works.
To make trick mirrors, really all they do is stretch and bend the mirror. 
It cost money to be an artist.  Not much money in it until you're dead though. 
I did not want to do it for money.
I really loved art.
When I was in my early 20's , I was seeing a doctor Minor in Tulsa. We got to talking about art again.
I told him my ideas for this then.
That was almost 20 years ago.
I am 37 years old now. I will be 38 in December of 2017.
My ideas are original. No one in history has the same ideas as me.
Not unless they are lying or faking it for show. 
I keep sketch pads and have been doodling for over 30 years now.
I did not just start. It is not like I'm some pathetic loser singer who wants to put themselves around the right people with other people's accomplishments . No I have my own life. I'm not pathetic . 

Pictures of me and some of the things that I've doodled.

I like to color























































 

No comments:

Post a Comment