Wednesday, June 6, 2018

The 8th element

The 8th Element 

By

Jessica Singleton 

Breath released 
Pure embrace 
I can feel the rejuvenation of redemption 
That only comes from honestly.


I walked into my driveway and I took a car ride from another person. They drove me to the store.
They were talking happily about the day and life in general.
I was still thinking about yesterday in my own head. 
It's funny how a beautiful butterfly can flutter its wings on one side of the world-
While a hurricane can spin around to damage the other side.
Yet their wings never touch nor does their flight.

The store smelled of disinfectant and fresh food. 

I did not pay attention to the elevator music on the speaker.
I walked along thinking of facts about anything that would give my mind a rest from everything that I refuse to understand.
It's not difficult really. 

I saw an isle where the store sold greeting cards. I couldn't help but see the humor in such things.
As though people never say what they really mean. Like they need directions based on the picture on the card. 
And it's just a wrinkled map anyway.
Always folded wrong. 
I had no use for cards today. The store is accurate and presented well. Speedy recovery at the checkout line.
People can drive safely and securely but people still need maps that they don't read.

When I went home- I lit a candle and I relaxed. 

I was listening to music.

No recording can illuminate the way a 45 can. It sounds like the words are spoken directly to your ears.

Like a private message.

I think the only people who understand the language of maps are musicians.

They always sound like they lived through something that no one talks about. 

Unless you buy maps. 

I don't talk about my own journey.

People like me-
We don't have roads named after us.
So I don't make maps.
But heaven knows I have ran away
 from my own feelings enough to have walked everywhere.


It's funny how the hands on the clock are poetic. You can't go back- only forward.
But god knows you can feel the itch to try.

Pain and regret makes everyone an addict.
I learned a lot about myself being like this. Time echoes.

So after the lights go down- 
I saw the truth-
Because I was alone and there was not anymore lies to sing me to sleep. 

I finally let go of the map .

I could heal and thank god I had the strength to endure what it did to me.
Without addiction or some other elements from the periodic table. 

Life fits better and things work easier when you feel redemption and truth.

No one should live a lie that chains you. 

But it's photographic and strange how all of your memories are always welcome like an old family friend. 
I guess you don't pick who you love. Just as much as you don't pick when you stop loving them. 

This never runs out of time.
Like a classic melody-
More like yesterday's parody of us.

You never did find your way home again but your memory lingers.

After all this time- 
You are still loved more than anyone.

" You were once wild here . Don't let them tame you. " - Isadora Duncan


No comments:

Post a Comment